POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Interruptable/resumable parsing? : Interruptable/resumable parsing? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 16:21:18 EDT (-0400)
  Interruptable/resumable parsing?
From: Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
Date: 28 Dec 2003 11:17:19
Message: <3FEED1ED.3D93198B@gmx.de>
High!

During Christmas, I tried to generate a spherical mesh from a 2000 x
1000 bumpmap of the
Moon... and after returning from my relatives, I had to realize that
parsing bogged down the
computer completely! After 2 days and 15 minutes, only 270 lines of the
bumpmap had been
parsed (I added a #warning statement giving the current line number)!
Obviously, the time needed
to parse spherical meshes (or meshes in general) increases
exponentially, so that on my computer,
a halfway realistic mesh e. g. of Earth would take decades or even
centuries to parse!

The only way to speed things up I could imagine would be limiting the
parsing process only to triangles actually visible in the
scene (so with a planetary object, the maximum would be 50 % of the
surface) - but even this would take a pretty long time.

So I ask you whether it could be possible to interrupt and resume the
parsing - as I live in a one-room flat with no chance to
stow away the computer at night, and the fans are loud enough to keep me
from sleeping.

And are there other ways to accelerate parsing?

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar